Three: Basket case

Knitting never worked for me, I could never quite get the hang of it. As my hands tried to manage the two needles and the wool I’d fumble my way through the steps producing a mess of knots. Sometime in the middle of last year I decided to try my hand at crochet. A youtube clip played at half speed and a few hours later, I was crocheting granny squares like a pro.

Beyond granny squares, I’ve made a scarf for Simon, a cushion cover for my bestie, a wine bottle holder and am currently working on a blanket. With all of these projects, I’ve managed to find wool at Op Shops. My most recent crochet project was making a box, using shop twine (from Bunnings, hopefully I’ll stumble across some at an oppy). I took the pattern from a book I found at a second hand book store entitled Simple Crochet, by Erica Knight (I expect I will make a few things from this book).

I decided to start with the smallest size box and half way through realised I had interpreted the pattern wrong! Luckily, after some basic maths-ing I figured out how I could adapt the pattern to the sizes I made. Apart from this hiccup, making the box sides and bottom was pretty straightforward. The twine was a bit harder to work with than wool, but I got the hang of it reasonably easily. When I came to sewing the box together I found that the sizes were all a bit different, this is probably due to the tension of my stitches or simply miscounting! I found I had to undo one row of stitching on a shorter side (known as ‘frogging’ in crocheting circles) to make sure it all matched up .
After I stitched together all of the sides and the bottom, I found that it didn’t quite hold its shape with the sides being floppy! The pattern called to use strips of fabric around the top of the basket (see left) so I added this using some fabric left from many moons ago. This addition added a little more stability, but I decided to carefully pull through some fine gauge wire Simon had on hand through the fabric strips I’d just crocheted on to see if that would do the trick. Thankfully, it paid off! The incorporation of the wire helped immensely, adding more rigidity that I expected.

The box lives on our coffee table and has become the home for our remotes. Looking ahead, I would like to make two much larger boxes for Simon and I to use for storage under our bedside tables. I will probably need to consider using a twine that is more rigid, as my wire trick probably won’t work for a box that size, but I’ll deal with that when I get to it!

 

 

 

 

4 Comments

  1. Am impressed Zara. Keep up the good work.

  2. I hope you had the time of your life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2019 I Made That!

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑